Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas in the desert

Well right now I´m back home in Iceland, but let me take you a few days back to the 24th. of December.

The started kinda slow, but around noon me, my mom and my older sister Ásdís went to this indoor street market which was kinda cool, but after roughly 40 minutes of browsing I forgot myself a little bit inside an instrument shop and mom and Ásdís went on without me, which got me lost. And it didn´t help that the market was really confusing, regarding directions and I spent an hour and a half looking for them, practically running around the whole market then eventually I just took a taxi back to the hotel. And then minutes after I got back to the hotel room, my mom and Ásdís walk in.

Then After a few hours of relaxation it was time to go to a desert safari, we were picked up in a jeep and then we had an hour of driving to where the desert began, and also where our safari would begin. When we got there the jeep´s had to release pressure from the tires to get more grip on the sand and then we we´re off. And the ride through th heart of the desert, up and down all the sand dunes, it was really bumpy, but on the way to our final stop in the desert, we made a few drink and photo stops and it was really beautiful, and running around in the sand was amazing.

When we finally got to our final destination in the desert there were a lot of camels and we could ride them, and riding a camel is so much fun, the guy that led our camels took us for a really long ride and it was great. Then we sat down to dinner and there was a buffet and open bar, and since this trip was not really cheap I decided to get the most out of it so it came down to every time I walked towards or past the bar the bartender opened a beer and handed it to me, so let´s just leave it at there. And after dinner me and my sisters got a "henna" tattoo which is still on my hand, however it won´t last for long, maybe a couple of days more.

After the tattooing there came a belly dancer ( not the best looking one in the business) but when she did her thing we went over to this section that had a lot of water pipes where the whole family came together and smoked something with a hint of apples and it was great.


well and that kinda concluded the Claessens Christmas Eve

Right now it´s the 29th. of December and a new year creeping up on people so until next time

Later
Stefán Claessen

No comments: