Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Scandinavian Society

First of all, my apologies for being lazy and preoccupied, and not making the time to blog, I know a "lot" of people who read this were disappointed.

The other day I received an e-mail from an anthropology professor from Wichita State University, and in that e-mail was an invitation to a dinner in a Scandinavian Society here in Wichita. At first I was really exciting, with the picture in my head that I would be meeting young Scandinavian people that had residency in Wichita. When the event took place, Peer the anthropology professor picked me up and he´s Danish so the little Danish I still know had no use at all since he´s been in the states the past 30 years but I managed to show off a little bit. We got to the assembly early because Peer needed to attend a meeting before everything started, this "dinner" took place at a church common room, which was really nice; however, when I walked in to the church I had a major shock, the average age of the people inside was in the late 70´s!!! Peer introduced me to some people and left for the meeting, fortunately all the people was really nice and they had a lot of questions about Iceland, most of the people was 2nd and 3rd generation Scandinavian, with a couple of exception. Let´s just say everyone under the age of 55 was 1st generation, I was seated with the people that I was introduced in the beginning, which was quite alright because it was actually fun, they kept shooting questions at me and we exchanged stories and I learned a lot from those people. When Peer told me about this "dinner" he mentioned that I would have to tell people something about Iceland but little did I know that I would have to step up to a podium and give a speech into a microphone, I started off by talking about myself and my family, then just gave them some facts about Iceland then when I ran out of things to say, I said what every great speaker says when he´s out of words:"Any Questions?" From there on people shot right and left and my "speech" wound up being about 15-20 minutes, and I´m pretty sure I made at least one fact up, that´s what nerves do to you. After I gave my "speech," the youngest girl in the room at the age of 24, Helena which is from Sverige talked a little bit and then Jon spoke, he also is from Sverige and in his 20´s so I was not the only one born after 1975. Like I said about the age average of this "Society" when it came to the "dinner" that the members had made, it was of course the kind of food the mostly elderly people eat so let´s just say that I did n´t eat very much. A couple of things that were kind of new to me but before everything started we stood up and saluted the flag and joined together in prayer, which I felt strange doing but as an American this their bread and butter. After the event had finished people came up to me and thanked me for coming and sharing my thoughts and experience and even a couple of them came up to me and told me that I just have meet their granddaughter, which is fine with me if they are cute, but blind dating not really something I´m keen on, but in the words of Andréa: You should go on blind dates just for the fun story out of it. Also because I´ve been single for a couple of months it couldn´t hurt.

This weekend is going to be pretty sweet! My roommate is out for the weekend and I don´t have any homework so I can begin a couple of my final projects and relax and hit the gym.

For now that´s all

2 comments:

EggertC said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anna C said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.